After about 4 months of brewing kombucha, I’m now just rolling into a new phase of “brewdome”: flavors! Don’t get me wrong: I still enjoy the sweet taste of ordinary kombucha, but I drink a lot. Next to water, kombucha is my main liquid staple. To get beside the point of topic (which, if you haven’t been aware of that yet is “flavored kombucha”), I do want to point out a few benefits I’ve noticed from drinking so much of this tasty tea.
1. I really have a better night’s sleep – I’m not sure why this is, but I have noticed it.
2. I get a good energy from it. Not like the energy I get after drinking tea or coffee (that kind of energy is kind of cool, too – where you feel like you can run a 50k marathon in twenty minutes, and then crash an hour later with a dead-pan glaze, puffy and debilitated). No, the kind of energy I’m talking about is an easy energy that flows through my body evenly and calmly. I’ve said it before, but it’s an energy that clears my body and brain out. A good thing.
3. I’ve noticed a lovely difference in my skin.
Okay. I’m going stop there. These are just noticeable, basic observations I’ve found recently.
Now onto the fun part! Flavors! (And keep in mind, I’m using a 1.5 L wine bottle for all these measurements…)
* I strongly urge everybody who brews kombucha to try Strawberry. It’s a common flavor, but don’t underestimate its popularity. Because it’s really, really good. When pouring my brewed kombucha from its gallon-sized glass jar, I put it in the wine bottle. I puree 5 organic strawberries, smoosh it in the bottle, and put it in the refrigerator.
* Ginger-Strawberry is my next favorite. The combination of the two creates such a satisfying and delicious taste. I puree 4 organic strawberries and a chunk (1×1 inch) of ginger.
* Lemon-Ginger is a unique combination that some might think sounds too weird, but it’s really good. I made it when I got that “Autumn Cold” feeling (stuffy & runny nose, sore throat, etc) and drank this all day. By the end of the day, I was good! Unfortunate for my two little boys who did end of getting the dreaded cold (and it lasted 5 days). I used an entire lemon peel and tablespoon of lemon juice, along with 1×1″ chunk of ginger.
So far that’s all I’ve tried. Pretty basic to begin with, but new for me. If any of you have any other ideas of what flavors I should try (or you’ve tried yourself) give me a shout! Additionally, if you’ve ever tried other flavors that you found totally disgusting, let me know those too!